1 lb prunes, seeded and chopped
1 lb raisins
1 lb currants
1 lb sultans
1/4 lb mixed peels
1/2 lb cherries chopped in half
1 1/2 cups cherry brandy
2 cups rum
2 cups or 1 lb butter
2 cups or 1 lb sugar
( brown or granulated)
10 large eggs
2 tsp.grated lime peel
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 lb or 4 cups flour
4 tsp. Baking powder
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 cup browning or more
1 cup mixture of rum and cherry brandy
- The day before of some days before baking I boil the fruits ( prunes, raisins, currants, sultans, mixed peels and cherries) in rum and cherry brandy. It’s optional some people might prefer soaking the fruits. Blend some fruits.
- Line cake pans with double layers of wax paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat eggs one at a time. I prefer blending the eggs in the blender. Pour in eggs into the batter and add lime peel and vanilla.
- Combine flour baking powder and cinnamon, fold into creamed mixture gradually.
- Add fruits and enough browning to give the desired color. Stir well. I always put a Guinness when mixing the batter. U can always add a little more rum to ur desired taste.
- Put in lined baking pans and bake in a preheated oven at 250°F for the first hour, reduce heat to 200°F- 225°F for the remaining 1 1/2 hours or until the tester comes out clean.
- Prick hot cakes and soak with a mixture of rum and cherry brandy. Cover and set aside to cool.